Let’s go to Tokyo, Japan!
Tokyo is Japan’s capital and among the country’s 47 prefectures, it is the world’s most populous metropolis. It is formerly known as “Edo” 江戸, which means “estuary” before 1868, and is now officially known as Tokyo Metropolis. This makes it unique since it is governed as “metropolitan prefecture”, a characteristic unique to Tokyo.
1. It is the larget metropolis with nearly 40,000,000 in population
2. Tokyo Skytree is the located here, the tallest tower in the world
3. The city host 51 of the Fortune Global 500 companies in 2011
4. It is the first Asian city to host the Olympic Games twice – it will host the 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, after hosting the 1964 Summer Olympics
5. Tokyo has 23 special wards, that use the word “city” in the official English name
6. Ogasawara National Parks, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
7. Tokyo DisneySea – it’s the only one in the world among the Disneyland theme parks, since it has a nautical exploration theme
Top 5 Recommendations by JapanGuide.com:
1. Food – Tokyo has received the most Michelin stars of any city in the world
2. Asakusa – Sensoji Temple is the main attraction; Kaminarimon (iconic gate); Hoppy Street (70-80 meter street which serves izakaya meaning Japanese pub food; Kappabashi Street (it has dozen of specialty stores except food); near Tokyo Skytree (Japan’s tallest structure)
3. Shinjuku – Japan’s premiere nightlife district; it has the busiest train station in the world
4. Meiji Shrine – dedicated to Emperor Meiji (reign: 1867-1912); near Yoyogi Park, Harajuku and Omotesando
5. Akihabara – center of Otaku (die hard fan) culture in Japan; also known as “Electric Town”
For more check out TripAdvisor’s Top Things to Do at Tokyo and Internationally ME’s Tokyo Tourist Traps and Travel Tips: